There are so many ways to be a helper in the world and do good for others around you! Here are some of our favorite ideas from Dr. Colleen Russo Johnson, PhD and Chief Scientist at Ok Play (www.okplay.co)
- Go on a kindness hunt. Notice when others are kind to you or kind to one another. For example, when someone at school shares something with you or when one person holds a door open for another person to pass through.
- Engage in random acts of kindness. Write kind messages to strangers on the sidewalk with chalk. Leave a surprise gift for a loved one just because.
- Be a cheer squad. Find someone doing something challenging and offer them words of encouragement as they work through the process.
- Check in on elderly family members and neighbors. Send them handmade cards or drop off a care package.
- Pick up a regular household chore. From putting away dishes to feeding a pet, this is great way to show independence and be helpful and supportive at home.
Support a local charity. Find a nonprofit in your local neighborhood/ city that you can contribute to.